Forums » News and Announcements

Brown had a career-best five

• March 4, 2020 8:12 PM CST

PHILADELPHIA -- Cole Hamels had the perfect opponent for a milestone win. Hamels threw seven sharp innings to earn his 100th career victory, Domonic Brown had a career-best five RBIs and the Philadelphia Phillies beat the Cincinnati Reds 12-1 on Saturday night to end a four-game losing streak. Cody Asche snapped Philadelphias 23-inning scoreless streak with a two-run double that sparked a six-run fourth. Cesar Hernandez capped the scoring with his first career homer. Hamels (1-2) didnt need much run support. Coming off a career-high 133-pitch outing at the Mets last Sunday, the three-time All-Star left-hander was impressive. Hamels gave up one run and three hits, striking out 10 on 90 pitches. Hamels, the 2008 World Series MVP, was stuck on 99 wins since last Sept. 14. He improved to 9-0 against the Reds, including the post-season. The Phillies are 12-0 when Hamels starts vs. Cincinnati. "I guess its good karma," said Hamels, who earned his first career win against the Reds. "I know its supposed to feel like a big deal, but to me its just a win. In a few days when you digest it, its special to do it with one team." Homer Bailey (3-3) gave up six runs and seven hits in 3 2-3 innings. "I didnt have command with anything," Bailey said. Phillies manager Ryne Sandberg used his 23rd different lineup in 40 games. Jimmy Rollins led off for the second straight game instead of Ben Revere, who has a stomach virus. Asche moved up to sixth from eighth and Brown was dropped to seventh from sixth. It worked. "Its good to get runs for Cole," Asche said. "Hes been pitching his (behind) off." Ryan Howard started the fourth with a walk and Marlon Byrd hit a double to end an 0-for-13 slump. Asche then lined a double to right on an 0-2 pitch for a 2-1 lead. "That was the hit that loosened up the bats," Sandberg said. Brown followed with a two-run shot into the second deck in right field. Brown got a green light on a 3-0 pitch and didnt miss it, connecting for only his second homer in 234 at-bats, dating to last season. Brown led the Phillies with 27 homers in 2013 and was an NL All-Star in his first full season in the majors. "It definitely feels good. Its just one game, though," Brown said. "Im trying to build forward, stay positive and just keep having fun. With getting my number of at-bats, Im going to do what I have to do on the field. Its just all about keeping my confidence level up and having fun, playing the game of baseball." Carlos Ruiz chased Bailey with a two-out RBI single. Chase Utley greeted reliever Logan Ondrusek with an RBI single to make it 6-1. Asche had an RBI single in the seventh, Brown followed with a three-run double and John Mayberry Jr. snapped an 0-for-14 slump with an RBI double. NOTES: Rollins passed Ed Delahanty for third place on the Phillies all-time list with his 2,212th career hit. He is six hits from moving ahead of Richie Ashburn and 23 shy of replacing Mike Schmidt as the leader. ... Hamels moved into third place on the teams all-time list with his 25th double-digit strikeout game. He is the seventh pitcher to win 100 games with the Phillies. ... Phillies CF Tony Gwynn Jr. snapped an 0-for-18 slump with a fourth-inning single. ... Reds slugger Joey Votto remained in Cincinnati and the team is uncertain whether hell need a stint on the DL. Votto has a distal strain of his left quadriceps. ... Reds RHP Mat Latos threw his third bullpen session since suffering a setback in his rehab for a strained flexor. Latos is scheduled to face Reds hitters in a simulated game on Tuesday. ... LHP Tony Cingrani (2-2, 3.34) faces LHP Cliff Lee (3-4, 3.23) of the Phillies in the series finale Sunday. Stone Johnson Jersey. On Monday night, many fans in this city placed the blame squarely on the captain for his role in the James Neal overtime winner against the Pittsburgh Penguins. Len Dawson Jersey. 1 player in the world. So Duval gutted it out Thursday at the Byron Nelson Championship despite the pain from a muscle issue in his right elbow, a day after his stepson had to drive him because he couldnt even use that arm. http://www.customchiefsjersey.com/custom-morten-andersen-jersey-large-996n.html.com) - Nicklas Backstrom scored a pair of goals and Alex Ovechkin notched a highlight-reel tally, leading the Washington Capitals to a 4-0 victory over the New Jersey Devils on Saturday at the Prudential Center. Morris Claiborne Jersey. -- Gary Harris gave No. Tony Gonzalez Jersey.James scored 29 points, including 16 in the first quarter, and the Cleveland Cavaliers broke a four-game losing streak with a 106-74 win over the Orlando Magic on Monday night.GREEN BAY, Wis. - Mike McCarthy dreads this time of year. The Green Bay Packers roster must be trimmed to the 53-man limit by Saturday. One of the most important decisions for McCarthy is whether to go with Matt Flynn or Scott Tolzien as the backup to starting quarterback Aaron Rodgers. He might even keep both with the way Flynn and Tolzien played in the 34-14 win Thursday night over the Kansas City Chiefs to wrap up the preseason. Flynn and Tolzien each threw for two touchdowns against a defence that looked lost at times in a game played mostly by reserves. "I think Matt and Scott have both championed the case to be on our football team," McCarthy said. Flynn threw for 102 yards and Tolzien had 139 in splitting reps by quarter in the evenings most closely watched position battle. They both made solid cases to be the insurance policy at quarterback a season after Rodgers missed seven weeks with a collarbone injury. McCarthy has said he doesnt wants to overreact to what happened the previous year, and that Flynn and Tolzien are competing with everyone else on the roster. "I would obviously love" if McCarthy kept three quarterbacks, Tolzien said. "But I dont know whats going to happen. Hopefully well keep three." McCarthy loves how his team got better through the preseason. It will also make for a nerve-wracking few days with cuts looming. "Weve hit the targets. Now weve got the next 48 hours ... the worst part of our jobs," McCarthy said. Chiefs third-string quarterback Tyler Bray threw for 116 yards and a touchdown on 8-of-15 passing. Joe McKnight added 50 yards and a score on 10 carries in vying for the third-string running back job. But the Chiefs were maligned by 14 penalties, seven in a first half that ended with Green Bay up by 13. "Youre always going to have penalties, but we have to try to learn from them and not shoot ourselves in the foot," Bray said. Chiefs receiver A.J. Jenkins made one of the most impressive plays of the night with a diving 45-yard catch. Third-string quarterback Tyler Bray ffollowed on the next play with a 2-yard touchdown pass to Richard Gordon late in the second quarter.dddddddddddd A receiving corps already dented by injuries to Dwayne Bowe and Junior Hemingway took more hits Thursday night. Jenkins later left with a concussion, while Kyle Williams departed in the first quarter with a sprained shoulder. Bowe has a groin injury, and the Chiefs already know their No. 1 receiver will miss the opener because a suspension for an arrest in November. Still, Reid said he thought his teams depth at receiver would be fine. "Its good to get the preseason over and get on with the regular season," Reid said. Otherwise, the Packers (3-1) set the tone early and were never threatened. They look to be in good shape heading into next weeks season opener at the Super Bowl champion Seahawks. Flynn hit rookie Davante Adams on play-action for a 22-yard touchdown on the Packers opening drive. On his first drive in the second quarter, Tolzien hit rookie receiver Jeff Janis for a 33-yard touchdown near the front corner of the end zone. Janis beat cornerback Phillips Gaines, who was also whistled for illegal contact and holding penalties in the game. Janis, a seventh-round pick, also had a 62-yard kickoff return that set up Tolziens second touchdown pass. Janis looks to be a lock to make the roster now. "I know Ive got a lot more work to do and a lot more things that I need to work on. So, youve just got to hope for the best," Janis said. Flynn said he planned to go home and spend time with his wife and dogs the next few days "and go about normal everyday life and hope you dont get a call." Packers undrafted free agent Jayrone Elliott also bolstered his underdog bid to make the roster with his fifth sack, beating Chiefs first-string tackle Donald Stephenson. Along with Rodgers, the Packers also held out starters Eddie Lacy, Jordy Nelson, Clay Matthews and Julius Peppers. __ AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org and www.twitter.com/AP_NFL ___ Follow Genaro Armas at http://twitter.com/GArmasAP Wholesale Jerseys ' ' '