Forums » News and Announcements

Whitecaps coach

• February 23, 2020 5:53 PM CST

VANCOUVER -- Martin Rennie had things easy the past couple of weeks. But after having the luxury of keeping his lineup intact for two games, the Vancouver Whitecaps coach has no shortage of tough decisions to make heading into an important Major League Soccer game Saturday in Portland against the Timbers. Suspensions, a potential injury-induced absence and the need to kick-start a club that has lost its past two games will force the Vancouver coach to act. The fifth-place Caps (9-7-5) are seeking their first-ever MLS win over the Timbers (8-3-2), who are tied for second, as both clubs try to keep pace in a tight Western Conference. The starting goalkeeper choice ranks at, or near, the top of Rennies decisions list as the coach contemplates whether to give newcomer David Ousted his first start of the season or keep going with Brad Knighton. The second-year goaltender has lost his past two games after helping the Whitecaps go unbeaten in their previous six. But Rennie does not regard his goalkeeper pick as a difficult decision. "Its a lot better than our centre backs are doing, for example, where we dont have any choices (after several injuries)," said Rennie. "Its nice to have choices. "Not only that, but (former No. 1 and now No. 3) Joe Cannon is a great goalkeeper and (No. 4) Simon (Thomas) is a good goalkeeper, too. Its a good position for us." Ousted, a 28-year-old former Danish Superliga star, signed in June and did not become eligible until an international transfer window opened July 9. If the Greve, Denmark native gets the call, he will be the third goalkeeper to go between the posts for the Whitecaps this season after Knighton, 28, wrestled the starting job away from Cannon, 38. "I think that (Knighton) has been doing well and (Ousted) is looking really sharp now," Rennie said. Ousted spent the past three seasons with Randers FC in the Danish Superliga, earning 35 clean sheets in 103 appearances. He is eager to play after honing his craft in practice and watching games from the bench. Although he is willing to be patient and wait for his chance, the goalkeeper has found it very difficult to watch. "I hate being on the bench," Ousted said. "I always have. I think every footballer wants to play, and Im the same. I want to play every time." Portlands Weld-Jen Field is known for being a hostile environment. The Whitecaps have never beaten the Timbers there or anywhere else since the two clubs entered MLS in 2011. But the Caps earned a home tie against Portland in May. "If there was some good spectators there and a couple of boos in there, thats something I thrive on," Ousted said. "I love that. It just makes me play even better. So Im not nervous getting in there. Im just waiting for my chance to prove myself." Coach Rennie also has a potentially tough call to make up front as striker Kenny Miller battles a groin injury suffered in a 1-0 loss to Philadelphia last weekend, when the Whitecaps played down a man for all but eight minutes. Depending on Millers availability, Kekuta Manneh, 18, the clubs top draft choice (fourth overall) this year, is a candidate for his second start of the season. "It would be great to start the game," Manneh said. "Its a big game for the club, and everybodys looking forward to it, and its a really important game for us. So, if it is a matter of playing one minute or 90 minutes, I will try to add as much as I can and try to be a big part of the team." The Gambian speedster has excelled while coming off the bench, producing two goals and an assist in just 274 minutes of playing time in 12 appearances. Midfield also appears to be a concern as Jun Marques Davidson and Gershon Koffie serve one-game suspensions. Davidsons suspension stems from the red card he received for head-butting a Philadelphia player in the back last weekend. Fortunately, he avoided further punishment from the leagues disciplinary committee. Koffies ban is due to yellow-card accumulation. Despite the need for changes, Rennie still likes his clubs chances against a Portland squad that lost two of its four games in July but has suffered just a league-low three losses. "If we execute well, weve shown that weve got a good chance against any team," said Rennie. NOTES: Centre back Brad Rusin is slated to play after recovering from a hip injury that forced him out of the game against Philadelphia. Jerry Royster Jersey.S. Open champion Justin Rose birdied the first hole with a blind shot he hit to a foot of the pin, and he stayed in front Tuesday until he completed a 4-under 67 for a two-shot lead over Jason Dufner in PGA Grand Slam of Golf. Phil Niekro Jersey. -- The proud fathers huddled near the Dallas Stars dressing room, smiling, laughing and telling stories while wearing replica green sweaters of their sons team. http://www.custombravesjersey.com/custom-ronald-acuna-jr-jersey-large-1527z.html. The team also announced Tuesday that the Braves will wear a commemorative patch on the right sleeve during the season. The patch, shaped like home plate, carries the number 715, Aarons autograph and a "40th Anniversary" banner. Steve Avery Jersey. LOUIS -- Valtteri Filppula assisted on three of Tampa Bays four goals, and the Lightning beat the St. Deion Sanders Jersey. While hell be dialed in to that tournament on a course he loves, you can forgive him if his eyes glance down the calendar just a bit, towards April. ATLANTA -- First-year Georgia Tech coach Josh Pastner saw another positive step in the growth of center Ben Lammers on Sunday afternoon.Lammers had 12 points and 13 rebounds for his sixth double-double of the season and Georgia Tech routed Alcorn State 74-50 Sunday at McCamish Pavilion.When I first saw Ben in April when I first got the job and had our first workout, I was like, `Man, hes got some talent but he has a long way to go, Pastner said. To his credit, hes gotten better and better and better.The 6-foot-10 junior was 5-for-7 from the field and had six offensive rebounds and one blocked shot for the Yellow Jackets, who won their second-straight game. Lammers played only 20 minutes and didnt return to the court for the final 6:39.He got after it, Alcorn coach Montez Robinson said. He gets his hands on a lot of things.Georgia Tech (6-3) had three others in double figures: Josh Okogie with 14 points and three steals, Tadric Jackson with 14 points, and Quinton Stephens with 11 points and eight rebounds.Good win, especially coming after finals, Pastner said. I know its been a long layoff for us, 10 days, but we found a way to get a good win and kind of validated the Virginia Commonwealth win (on Dec. 7).Alcorn State (2-7) lost its fifth-straight game. The Braves were led by A.J. Mosby with 16 points, including four 3-pointers, and Reginal Johnson with 15 points and five reboundsGeorgia Tech came out and played well, Robinson said. They really got us out of what we wanted to run. They had a great plan for our guys. We tried to battle through it but just could never get over the hump.Alcorn State was able to hang around for the early part of the first half because of its 3-point success. The Braves were within 18-12 when Denzel Dulin made a 3-pointer with 11:28 left in the first half.But Georgia TTech responded with a 12-2 run that included back-to-back dunks from Jackson and Lammers, as well as a three-point play from Okogie.dddddddddddd The run gave the Yellow Jackets a 30-14 lead with 6:00 left in the half.Georgia Tech led 39-22 at the half. Alcorn stayed close because of its 3-point success, hitting 6 of 7, and because it scored 11 points off seven Georgia Tech turnovers.Defensively they hit those 3s in the first half but we did force them into 21 turnovers, Pastner said. Weve still got some things to work on.BIG PICTUREGeorgia Tech: Freshman Josh Okogie scored a career-low three points in his last game, but equaled that by making a three-point play on the first possession of the game. He finished with 14.Alcorn State: Leading scorer Reginal Johnson didnt score his first basket until the 16:31 mark of the second half. He was denied the ball by the Georgia Tech defense and didnt take a shot in the first half. He finished with 15.CHARITY WORKGeorgia Techs state goal is to make more free throws than its opponent tries. The Yellow Jackets made 20-of-27, with Alcorn attempting just 15 and making 11.GEORGIA CONNECTIONAlcorn State had five Georgians on its roster. Robinson said the group may have been somewhat overeager to play at Georgia Tech. Of the quintet, Cartersville native Mosby led the Braves with 16 points.HITTING THE GLASSGeorgia Tech outrebounded Alcorn State 46-31. It was the sixth time the Yellow Jackets have beaten the opposition on the glass. It was the biggest margin, two more than their previous best against Tulane on Nov. 26.UP NEXTGeorgia Tech plays again at home on Tuesday against state-rival Georgia.Alcorn State is at Grand Canyon on Tuesday. Wholesale Jerseys ' ' '