Forums » News and Announcements

Kerry wants to answer

• 545 posts
    July 1, 2019 3:31 AM CDT

Got a question on rule clarification, comments on rule enforcements or some memorable NHL stories? Kerry wants to answer your emails at cmonref@tsn.ca. Hey Kerry, Ill keep this short and sweet as Im sure Toronto fans will be flooding your inbox, but last night Dion Phaneuf was given a tripping penalty on a player who was offside. Why was he penalized? The opponent was offside and the whistle would/should have been blown just before the trip. Thanks,John --- Phaneuf for tripping - why was this a penalty? Was it because the trip happened before the linesman blew the whistle dead? I thought that the linesman blew the whistle and the trip happened after the whistle. Randy Carlyle seemed to accept the refs explanation. Regards,Dallas --- Watched the Leafs beat Phoenix - wondering about Dions penalty for tripping after the play was called offside? How is this even possible to get an in-game penalty outside of the game play? If anything, shouldnt it have been called unsportsmanlike conduct, which he would have gotten had he gone up to someone and tripped them outside of game play? Justin John, Dallas and Justin:Infractions that occur simultaneously with or after a stoppage are typically penalized as though play was actually in progress. I could offer many examples where penalties have been assessed during a stoppage in play including just prior to a puck drop when players are lined up for a faceoff. The rules are applied whether the game clock is running or not. However, rule 57 (tripping) is very specific in stating, "Accidental trips which occur simultaneously with a completed play will not be penalized. Accidental trips occurring simultaneously with or after a stoppage of play will not be penalized." The optimum word in the rule is "accidental." This is intended to allow the referee to exercise common sense and sound judgment in determining that a trip occurring simultaneously with or after a stoppage would have absolutely no bearing on the play. If however, a tripping infraction in the opinion of the referee caused an attacking player from cleanly entering the zone and therefore resulted in an offside at the blue line then the trip would in fact have a bearing on the play and a penalty would be assessed. It was a bang-bang play last night when Mike Ribeiro pulled the puck back and made a shift just ahead of the blue line to avoid a Dion Phaneuf check. Ribeiros move delayed the puck from crossing the line and caused David Moss to jump offside on the right wing. Phaneuf then stuck his stick in the feet of Ribeiro causing the Coyote to trip after the offside infraction had been committed and but a split second before the linesmans whistle sounded. As a result, there should have been no penalty assessed to Dion Phaneuf on the play. The wide camera shot demonstrates that both referees immediately reacted to the trip by raising their arms. The referee in the neutral zone can be seen giving a wash-out signal because once the linesman blew his whistle he realized the play was offside at the blue line. The other referee that made the call from deep inside the Leafs end zone and on the opposite side to where trip had occurred did not pull back on his first reaction to the trip and assessed the penalty. From his position, the ref inside the zone must have deemed that the trip caused the offside and the blue line and therefore should be penalized. I had a similar play one game in Los Angeles when Terry Murray was coaching the Kings. A King forward carried the puck across the attacking blue line. While the referee doesnt usually pay close attention when an attacking team crosses the blue line I had a quick sense that this entry looked offside but no whistle resulted. The attacker continued to carry the puck a good fifteen feet inside the zone when a defender tripped the King puck carrier. I raised my arm and as I blew my whistle I heard the sound of the linesmans whistle being blown simultaneously with mine. I approached the linesman and asked what had happened. He said the play was offside and he was slow in blowing the whistle; 15 feet slow! There was no way that I was going to penalize a team for a trip that had no bearing on the play as a result of an offside that should have been blown down well in advance of the trip. Problem was Terry Murray, the players on both teams and close to 20,000 people saw me raise my arm to call the obvious trip! I communicated my decision and reasons not to assess the penalty to Murray. In spite of Terrys protest that I couldnt take away a penalty that everyone in the building saw me call my final decision stood. My last comment to Terry at the Kings bench was that in the NFL it would be announced as an "errant flag". On this night in the Staples Center he could consider it as an "errant arm"! I skated over to the penalty box, clicked on my microphone and make the official announcement, "There was no penalty on the play as a result of the offside at the blue line." The linesman quickly dropped the puck in the neutral zone and it was "game on." Common sense and sound judgment prevailed. Odell Beckham Jr Browns Jersey. The win puts Arsenal four points clear of Everton in fourth place with two games to play in the Premier League, a position which would qualify the club for Europes top competition for the 17th straight year. Baker Mayfield Womens Jersey. You can catch all of the action LIVE on TSN2 at 6pm et/3pm pt. The Heat reached that mark Saturday night when they ruined the Philadelphia 76ers home opener. http://www.footballbrownsnflprostore.com/Youth-Odell-Beckham-Jr-Elite-Jersey/. The best round belonged to Pat Perez. Tiger Woods didnt come close to claiming either Thursday in the Farmers Insurance Open, where the seven-time champion failed to break par in the opening round for first time in his career. Bernie Kosar Jersey. The NFLs Defensive Rookie of the Year will be named at the NFL Honours Award show on February 1. The 23-year-old 2013 second-rounder out of Oregon becomes the third Bills linebacker to win the honour after Jim Haslett (1979) and Shane Conlan (1987. Sheldrick Redwine Youth Jersey. CEO Steve Koonin on Tuesday told the Hawks flagship radio station that he made the decision to discipline Ferry but allowed him to keep his job managing the team. He did not say what the punishment was, but noted that he relied on a law firms three-month investigation of Ferry and him describing Deng as someone who has a little African in him.MALMO, Sweden -- Canada has moved into the big rink and goalie Zach Fucale expects big pressure will come with it at the world junior hockey championship. The Canadian squad, which has been based at the smaller, 5,800-seat Isstadion facility since the start of the tournament, held its first practice Friday at the 11,618-seat Malmo Arena. The snazzy, modern venue will be where Canada faces Finland in semifinal action Saturday. The winner will face either Sweden or Russia in the tournament finale there Sunday. "The stakes are getting higher and higher and guys will be battling harder," said Fucale. "At this level, every detail counts. "Everyone will be killing themselves for the win." Canada will be looking to erase the memory of last years semifinal loss to the United States in Ufa, Russia. That resulted in the Canadians not winning a medal in this event for the first time since 1998. Canada faces a Finnish side that hasnt won a medal in eight years, although the squad reached the tournament semifinals two years ago. The Finns, who overcame a 3-1 deficit to beat the Czech Republic 5-3 in the quarter-finals, are a dangerous team. They not only have a top goalie in Juuse Saros but also some dandy snipers led by Chicago Blackhawks prospect Teuvo Teravainen, who has nine assists and is plus-7 in five games. Finland also boasts defenceman Rasmus Ristolainen, on loan from the Buffalo Sabres. Canadian coach Brent Sutter isnt taking the Finns lightly. "I see a hard-working team, a team thats very structured, a team thats going to play some North American hockey," said Sutter. "Theyre a gritty group. "Theyve been getting decent goaltending. Theyve got three forwards on their team that are as good as any forwards in this tournament. Theyre going to come hard and we have to be ready for it." Canada beat Finland twice in exhibition games this year, once in the summer at Lake Placid, N.Y., and again Dec. 20 in Sweden, where they dominated the final two periods after Fucale gave up two questionable goals in the first. The Finns are confident they can pull off an upset. "We have a good team and we have a good chance to win," said Saros. "Were going to do a prevent style to get that game. "Were going to have good team spirit and our power plays pretty good. I think those things will be important." And he expects a physical game, especially around his net. "They like to play in the corners and they come to the goal -- three, four players come to the goal -- so I have to be awake," he said. Actually, the Finnish power pllay has registered just four goals in 22 chances (18.dddddddddddd per cent). But two key players -- Ristolainen (flu) and Artturi Lehkonen (leg injury) -- each missed two games before returning to face the Czechs. Finlands penalty kill has been impressive, allowing only one goal on 21 chances (95.2 per cent). Canadas power play has clicked on 7-of-24 chances (29.1 per cent). Sutter has stressed discipline, which got away from his team when it took three minor penalties in the third period of a 4-1 win over Switzerland in the quarter-finals. Canada earned the "easier" route to the final when it beat the Americans in the preliminary round to take first place in its group. But the team cant afford to waste that with an upset loss against the Finns. Sutter has underlined concentrating on one game at a time, which defenceman Griffin Reinhart said may have been a problem in last years semifinal. "Our focus is on this game," he said. "Maybe last year we got a little bit ahead of ourselves. "Its tough. Youve got to treat every game like a Game 7. I dont think its anybodys intention, but nobody really stressed taking it one day at a time (last year) and thats what you really need to do at this tournament. You cant get caught looking ahead." All teams have players hurting, including Canada. Reinharts defence partner, Mattew Dumba, and forward Charles Hudon sat out practice Friday. Dumba came up limping after a collision late in the second against the Swiss while Hudon has been playing through a shoulder injury suffered a week ago against Slovakia. Sutter expects both will play against Finland. "Maintenance day for both those guys," he said. Sutter doesnt see the venue change making a big difference either. "Its irrelevant where youre playing the game," said Sutter. "Its played on the same size of ice. "We just have to do what we need to do to give ourselves the best chance." It will also be a move for the few thousand red-and-white clad Canadian fans who jammed the Isstadion, giving it a home-game feel for Canadas team. They will likely make up the majority of the crowd against Finland although they may get drowned out if Canada advances to the final against Sweden. The Swedes, who played at Malmo Arena in the round robin, have averaged 11,278 spectators per game. "It was crazy at the other rink," said Fucale. "It was almost a home game. "I felt as if I was in Canada. Its really cool that this happens. You can feel their support. Theyll certainly help us over the next couple of games." Wholesale Jerseys ' ' '