Forums » News and Announcements

in seven games

• June 26, 2019 8:18 PM CDT

(SportsNetwork.com) - The struggling Los Angeles Kings will try to pick up just their second win in seven games when they host the Toronto Maple Leafs in Mondays battle at Staples Center. The Kings have not been playing like defending Stanley Cup champions during what has been a difficult start to the 2014-15 season and the club is just 1-2-3 over its last six games. That includes an 0-1-2 start to a seven-game homestand which has dropped Los Angeles record as the host to 14-5-4. L.A. lost a 5-4 shootout decision Saturday against the Winnipeg Jets, who moved one point ahead of the Kings for the first of two wild card spots in the Western Conference. Winnipeg jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the opening seven minutes of the first period, but the Kings cut the deficit to one by the end of the opening stanza. L.A. grabbed a 4-3 lead with third-period goals from Marian Gaborik and Kyle Clifford, but Zach Bogosian would score with 5:56 remaining in regulation to eventually send the game to overtime. Bryan Little then scored the lone shootout goal to award the extra point to the Jets. Kings goaltender Jonathan Quick allowed Winnipeg to score three times on its first three shots of the game, but he rebounded to stop 21-of-22 shots the rest of the way. Quick also made an incredible sprawling save, falling backward with his left hand stopping a shot from Mathieu Perreault in the second round of the shootout. However, Little beat the Kings netminder when he scored the only goal of the shootout in the fourth round. Littles wrist shot found the right side of the net before Kings forward Mike Richards missed the net on his attempt to extend the shootout. Anze Kopitar and Justin Williams joined Clifford and Gaborik as the goal- scorers for L.A., which went 2-for-6 on the power play. Everyone individually has to step up, myself included, Kings defenseman Alec Martinez said. We all have to take a little more ownership in our game, and play Kings hockey. Im confident this team will be successful if we do that. If we keep on digging ourselves in a hole in the first period like weve been doing, and giving up as many goals as we have been, its going to be pretty difficult on us. Kings forward Tanner Pearson left the game late in the second period with a lower body injury after he was driven into the boards by Jets defenseman Jay Harrison. Pearson, who has 12 goals and four assists in 42 games this season, suffered a fractured fibula and is out indefinitely. Fellow forward Tyler Toffoli also will miss a second straight game with mononucleosis. Quick is expected to start tonight for the Kings. He is 2-2-1 with a 2.74 goals against average in five career games against the Maple Leafs. Former L.A. netminder Jonathan Bernier earned a victory with just 18 saves on Friday to help Toronto halt a three-game skid with a 5-2 win over visiting Columbus. It was just the third win in the last 11 games for the Leafs, who are 1-1-0 since firing head coach Randy Carlyle and replacing him on an interim basis with Peter Horachek. James van Riemsdyk had two goals and an assist to help the Maple Leafs down the Blue Jackets. Phil Kessel, Tyler Bozak and Daniel Winnik each registered a goal and an assist for the Maple Leafs. I thought there was a clear focus yesterday and clear focus this morning. I felt it, Horachek said. Kessel played in his 406th consecutive game, the second-longest games played streak in Maple Leafs history. Tim Horton owns the record at 486. Toronto, which is three points out of a playoff spot in the East, is hoping Fridays win can give the club confidence as it begins a road-heavy part of the schedule. Beginning with tonights tilt in the City of Angels, the Maple Leafs are playing four straight and nine of its next 11 games on the road. The Leafs are 15-9-0 at Air Canada Centre this season compared to a 7-8-3 mark on the road. The swing will continue Wednesday in Anaheim. Bernier is 0-1-0 with a 3.83 GAA in his career against the Kings and its uncertain if he will get the call against his former club tonight. Backup James Reimer boasts a lifetime 3-0-1 record and 1.83 GAA versus L.A. Reimer earned the win when Toronto notched a 4-3 shootout win over a visiting L.A. team on Dec. 14. It was the second straight win over L.A. for the Maple Leafs, who are 3-1-1 in the last five matchups in this series. Toronto has claimed the past three encounters at Staples Center. Arizona Cardinals Jerseys. -- Gary Harris gave No. Pat Tillman Jersey. "Thank you for the warm welcome," Beckham said on an 80-degree February morning. In this case, it was soccer weather. The sport moved a step closer to returning to South Florida on Wednesday, when Beckham confirmed he has exercised his option to purchase a Major League Soccer expansion franchise in Miami. http://www.thecardinalsshoponline.com/Youth-Larry-Fitzgerald-Cardinals-Jersey/. The teams all-time leading scorer, DeRo has won everything there is to win in MLS. Adrian Wilson Jersey.The long-haired pivot, who joined the Alouettes midway through the CFL season and put up a 9-3 record as a starter, will be listed as the top quarterback in training camp next spring.With a full training camp under his belt, the Alouettes will see if he has what it takes to get them back to the Grey Cup game after a four-year absence. Kurt Warner Jersey. In a matter of days, he went from unwanted to wanted, from fired to hired, from discarded by the Philadelphia Eagles with reputation tarnished to rock star treatment and a new fat contract from the Washington Redskins. IRVING, Texas -- Canadian Mike Weir hasnt had a top-25 finish since 2010. After the second round of the Byron Nelson Championship Friday, hes closer to breaking that drought. Weir, of Brights Grove, Ont., and fellow Canadian Graham DeLaet of Weyburn, Sask., are part of an eight-player group tied at 6-under 134, two strokes behind leader Brendon Todd, heading into Saturdays third round. "The work Ive been doing over the years is to get back into this position, and now Ive got to see if I can handle it and get momentum going and play well on the weekend," said the 44-year-old Weir. "Its been difficult to play and not be in contention." Also at 6 under after Friday were Martin Kaymer -- five days after winning The Players Championship -- Paul Casey, who finished near the top of the leaderboard after a record back nine, Morgan Hoffmann, who had had bogey-free 66s, Tim Herron (66), Charles Howell III (66) and Marc Leishman (68). Casey was over par Friday before matching the PGA Tour record for the best score on a back nine, an 8-under 27 with six birdies and an eagle. That was part of his 7-under 63 that was the low round of the day, though he could never remember such a good nine. "On par-3 courses, I think," Casey said. "I like to think I would be good at shooting low rounds of golf through the past, but certainly nothing like that." When Casey made the turn, he was coming off a three-putt at No. 9, his third bogey of the day. The 36-year-old Englishman, whose only PGA Tour victory was five years ago, was then 2 over for the tournament, even after making a 9-foot eagle putt on the par-5 seventh hole. "I think its easier when your back is up against the wall, like I was today" Casey said. "I was backed into a corner and had to do something. A little shift in, lets say, attitude, and a little shift in goals." Kaymer had his second consecutive 67, and has been in the 60s for all six of his rounds at TPC Four Seasons. The German won at TPC Sawgrass on Sunday. "If you had a good week, obviously you can take a lot into the next week. You play a little bit more free, a little bit more relaxed," Kaymer said. "Its a new week, and I want to do as good as possibble here.ddddddddddddquot; For the second time in five years, Todd is back on the PGA Tour after getting his card back through the Web.com Tour. He ended his round with back-to-back birdies to wrap up a round of 64 in which he needed only 22 putts. That included the 6-footer at the par-3 17th after his tee shot rolled just past the hole. "Its nice to put two under-par rounds together before the cut. Thats been a challenge for me this year," Todd said. "I was patient today." Todd, who started with six consecutiveF pars before four birdies in a five-hole stretch, first got to 7 under with a 12-foot birdie at the par-3 13th hole, but gave that stroke back at the par-4 15th when he hit his first two shots into the rough and had his only bogey. Peter Hanson was leading after a first-round 65, but was eight strokes worse Friday and dropped back to a tie for 25th at 2 under. David Duval, only a stroke off the lead after an opening 66 that included birdies on four of his last five holes, shot a 76 Friday and missed the cut by a stroke at 2-over 142. The former No. 1 player, now 890th in the world 15 years later, had six bogeys over his last 11 holes and had only one birdie during his second round. Casey made a 6 1/2-foot birdie putt at No. 10. His drive at the short par-4 11th was short of the greenside bunker, and from an awkward stance hit his approach over the pin onto the fringe before making a 24-foot birdie. He also had birdies at Nos. 13-15, a 32-foot putt for an eagle-3 at the 16th, and closed with another birdie. The overall nine-hole scoring record is Corey Pavins 8-under 26 on the front nine in the first round of the 2006 U.S. Bank Championship in Milwaukee in 2006. Seven others have had 27s on nine holes, the last Nick Watney in the third round of the 2011 AT&T National. Scottie Scheffler, a 17-year-old amateur from Dallas, shot a 68 with six birdies and four bogeys to make the cut at 1-under 139. Jordan Spieth, now 20 and the eighth-ranked player in the world, made the Nelson cut at ages 16 and 17 when he too was a top-ranked junior player from Dallas playing on a sponsor exemption. Spieth was 3 under after a 67 Friday. Defending Nelson champion Sang-Moon Bae missed the cut after rounds of 73 and 74. Wholesale Jerseys ' ' '