Forums » Suggestions

a pregame nap

• 915 posts
    July 24, 2018 3:26 AM CDT

LOS ANGELES -- Bae Sang-moon is off to another great start at the Northern Trust Open. The next step is a better finish. Bae played bogey-free Friday on another gorgeous day at Riviera for a 5-under 66, giving him a one-shot lead over Aaron Baddeley and Robert Garrigus going into the weekend. Baddeley, who hasnt won since Riviera three years ago, birdied his last four holes for a 65. Garrigus played in the afternoon, when its a little more difficult to make putts, and managed just fine with a 67. Bae was at 9-under 133. The 27-year-old South Korean was tied for the lead going into the weekend at Riviera last year. Bae struggled to a 76 in the third round and never got back into contention. "It was really, really good experience, and I learned a lot," Bae said. "I improved a lot from last year." He wound up winning the Byron Nelson Championship a few months later for his first PGA Tour victory. Patience surely will be required at some point over the weekend on what has shaped up as one of the best weeks of weather at Riviera -- an abundance of sunshine and only a trace of wind. Despite what would appear to be pristine scoring conditions, no one has reached double digits under par this week, a testament to one of the best golf courses on the PGA Tour. "Its a strong course, especially when its dry and firm like it is," Baddeley said. "If you miss it out of position, its really hard to get the ball up-and-down. Today was good, because I made a couple good saves but coming in, I had some good looks and made them." And while Bae is in the lead, the tournament remains wide open, with 22 players separated by only five shots. One of them is Dustin Johnson, who led after the first round and opened with two quick birdies. Johnson never made any more progress, however. He dropped shots on the 12th and 15th holes to negate a few more birdies, and missed several good looks inside 12 feet. He had to settle for a 70 and was three behind at 6-under 136. "I played pretty solid today, just hit a couple of bad drivers on the back. But thats going to happen," Johnson said. "But I still had a lot of really good looks at birdie and just couldnt capitalize on any of them." Also three shots out of the lead was Jim Furyk, who had a 68. Graham DeLaet of Weyburn, Sask., followed his opening round 70 with a 73, leaving him 10 shots back at 1-over 143. Among those missing the cut was Matt Kuchar, who failed to qualify for the weekend for the first time since the 2012 PGA Championship. His streak of 30 straight cuts was the longest active on tour, though still behind the record 142 by Tiger Woods. Baddeley was in the middle of the pack until he hit his approach on the 15th hole to about 8 feet. He followed with a short birdie putt on the par-3 16th, rolled in a birdie putt from 15 feet on the par-5 17th and finished it off with a 25-foot birdie on the 18th. Garrigus has made the cut only once in four previous trips to the Northern Trust Open. He decided to bring a new attitude, and it seems to be working. "I have pretty good willpower, so as soon as I stepped on the first hole this week, Im like, I absolutely love this place. ... And Im really starting to like it," Garrigus said. He also figured it would be one last chance to get into the Match Play Championship next week, though someone will have to break the news to him that the Match Play field is closed. Garrigus wont be playing even if he wins. Jordan Spieth managed to get in the mix, especially after he was on the cusp of leaving early. The 20-year-old Texan had tough par putts on four straight holes at the start of his round. When he finally missed one on the fourth hole for his first bogey, he took off. Spieth birdied four of his last five holes for a 66, leaving him in the large group that was at 4-under 138 along with Keegan Bradley and Jimmy Walker, still in the hunt for his fourth win this season. "I putted great today, a lot of par saves on the front," Spieth said. "I could have been 4 or 5 over at the turn, and instead I was at even, so very happy with the finish. Back in contention." Not so fortunate was Fred Couples, who had a tiny cut on the tip of his left thumb that opened up to the size of a dime, making it difficult for him to hang onto the club. Couples has gone his entire Hall of Fame career without wearing a glove. Asked if it bothered him, he said, "Yeah. I couldnt hit the ball." Couples made his 32nd appearance in this tournament, but at 2-over 144 was certain to miss the cut. David Hearn of Brantford, Ont., shot a 75, leaving him at 145. Oren Burks Packers Jersey. The 25-year-old native of Milford, Conn., has 18 points in 41 games this season. The five-foot-eight 166-pound centre also has 28 points (10-18) in 15 games with AHL Oklahoma City. DeShone Kizer Jersey. Wheeler scored at 4:58 of overtime, with Scheifele getting an assist, and the Jets beat the slumping Colorado Avalanche 2-1 on Sunday night. http://www.officialpackersteamgears.com/tramon-williams-jersey/. A person familiar with the decision told The Associated Press the Steelers will part ways with the former Pro Bowler, a move that hardly serves as a surprise after fifth-year linebacker Jason Worilds agreed to accept a "transition player" tag last week. Jimmy Graham Packers Jersey.C. -- Glenn Howard needed an extra end to move into the Masters Grand Slam of Curling final. DeShone Kizer Packers Jersey. LUCIE, Fla. NEW YORK -- Daniel Carcillo scored the tiebreaking goal 4:36 into the third period, and the New York Rangers completed a two-game sweep of the outdoor series with a 2-1 victory over the New York Islanders at frigid Yankee Stadium on Wednesday night. Building off their 7-3 win over New Jersey at the ballpark in the Bronx on Sunday, the Rangers took out another division rival under the lights in front of 50,027 fans. The temperature was 22 degrees when the first puck dropped at 7:45 p.m. with a single-digit wind-chill factor. It got progressively colder as the night went on. Benoit Pouliot also scored for the Rangers, who are 3-0 in their history while playing outside. Henrik Lundqvist stopped 30 shots while again adorning pinstriped pads in honour of the Yankees. The only goal he allowed was a late second-period tally to Brock Nelson that gave the Islanders a short-lived 1-0 lead. The Rangers evened the season series with the Islanders 2-2. The teams will play for the final time this season on Friday at Madison Square Garden. Wearing a ski cap with a pompom atop his mask, Evgeni Nabokov had 32 saves for the Islanders, who made their outdoor debut. Road teams are 9-1-1 in NHL outside games. Carcillo fired in a rebound of Dominic Moores shot for his third goal of the season, helping drop the Islanders to 0-3-1 in the last four games. With both teams struggling to control the puck early, it took nearly 39 minutes for the scoreless deadlock to be broken by the Islanders and then 40 seconds for the Rangers to get back even. The Islanders built up a big lead in shots, but couldnt get any past Lundqvist -- despite getting the first three power plays and a 2-minute stint of 4-on-4 play. When Islanders forward Kyle Okposo went off for holding, and took Rangers forward Rick Nash with him for embellishing with 9:49 left in the second period, the Islanders held a 21-10 edge in shots. By the time the period was over, the Rangers had cut it to 25-20. The Islanders grabbed a 1-0 lead with 1:27 left in the second, using a fine three-way passing play to go in front. Cal Clutterbuck managed to fling tthe puck from the left circle into the middle as he fell to the ice.dddddddddddd He connected with defenceman Matt Donovan, who quickly moved the pass to his right to Nelson, who fired a shot past Lundqvist for his 10th goal. Before the goal was announced to the cheering and shivering sold-out crowd, the Rangers tied it with Pouliots ninth of the season. Derick Brassard did hard work from the back edge of the left post, worked the puck free and slid it in front past the prone Nabokov who was down in the crease. Pouliot gathered it and scored into a fairly open net with 46.3 seconds remaining in the second. Both teams dealt with a bouncing puck during the scoreless first period, and Islanders forward Thomas Vanek had a puck hop over his stick from right in front of Lundqvist early in the second. Nabokov was playing in his first full game since returning on Monday from a lower-body injury that forced him to miss 10 games. He backed up Kevin Poulin in a 6-3 loss to Boston on Monday, but came on in relief for the third period and stopped the only shot he faced. He showed no signs of rust or difficulty playing out in the cold. Nabokov drank from a steaming cup at the bench during a break in the second period. Lundqvist looked comfortable at the other end, playing on the Yankee Stadium ice for the second time in four days. Since giving up three goals in the first period against New Jersey on Sunday following a pregame nap, Lundqvist allowed just one over the next five frames. While the Rangers had louder support in the stands, despite this being an Islanders home game, both sides were well represented and occasionally traded chants of "Lets Go Rangers!" and "Lets Go Islanders!" There were no visible signs of empty seats, even up in the far reaches of the upper deck that stretch into right-centre and left-centre field. NOTES: Okposo had a six-game point streak snapped. Nash had a five-game goal run broken. ... CeeLo Green performed between the first and second periods. He wore a long fur coat. ... The Islanders were 0 for 4 on the power play, including one at the end of the game Wholesale Jerseys ' ' '